The BBC World Service is recruiting suitable and qualified applicants to fill the position of Graphic Designer for Social Media. The Position is based in Nigeria.
Job Reference: BBC/TP/672269/22145
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Department: BBC Africa
Reports To: Service Senior Broadcast Journalist Digital
- The BBC World Service is embarking on an exciting journey with unprecedented investment in digital content for Africa and your role will be critical to us in meeting our ambitions.
- The BBC will be launching a new digital innovation hub in Lagos with the ambition to develop digital journalism in Africa.
- Your role as Social Media Visual Artist will play a key role in helping our content reach underserved audiences – such as younger, more female and more diverse demographics in Africa.
- We have an exciting opportunity to create new forms of digital storytelling and journalism that reaches 111 million people in Africa.
- As a Social Media Visual Artist you will join a new multidisciplinary digital team in Lagos made up of news gatherers, designers, software developers and social media specialists who will be working with journalists working across 12 language services (English, Amharic , Tigrinya, Afaan Oromo, Swahili, Somali, French, Great Lakes , Pidgin, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa)
- BBC Africa aims to make explain and connect African and global stories by providing a unique insight into the main stories of the day in original formats.
- The African service digital offer consists of websites, mobile sites and social media with all services providing multimedia content in text, video, interactive and audio for radio, online, TV, mobile and social media platforms.
- Here the vision is simple- join a new African digital innovation team of multi-talented journalists and content creators with the mandate to innovate.
- To produce and develop illustrations/cartoons complementing the day’s stories in social media friendly formats
- To present visual storytelling ideas for special projects and long term series
- To apply editorial judgement when illustrating stories of a sensitive/controversial nature and seek advice where appropriate.
- To show agility reacting to breaking news stories or trending stories as and when appropriate
- To work with other visual artists and social media teams across regions – identifying themes and opportunities for collaboration
- You’ll be based in Lagos and will report to local Senior Broadcast Journalist Digital and work with a social media editor in World Service languages
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable skill and experience in visual storytelling – illustration and or cartooning.
- The ideal candidate may also have the ability to use motion graphics software, such as Adobe After Effects, to create simple 2D animations for social media platforms
- Understanding of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as a sense of what makes attractive visual design
- Creativity and flair
- A clear understanding of the needs and profile of the target audience and the ability to translate these into imaginative and compelling design ideas
- Interest in news and current affair
- The ability to plan and organise time and resources effectively and meet deadlines set
- The ability to work quickly, accurately and under pressure.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives.
- Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Ability to take public comments on board and to make appropriate editorial changes to content. Do my homework for me domyhomework.guru/.
- Able to transform creative ideas into practical reality.
- Evidence of innovation and the ability to devise creative solutions by developing novel ideas or adapting existing ones in new ways.
- Evidence of a desire to create beautiful, quality content.
Planning and organisation:
- Able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- As well as the ability to motivate and deal sensitively with people who may be working to tight deadlines
Influencing and persuading:
- Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others.
- Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
Managing relationships and team working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with the ability to work with other teams in developing tools, features and services.
- Manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment and motivation.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
- Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Contract: Continuing
- Salary: Local Terms and Conditions Apply
To Apply, Click.