VACANCY: Manager, States and Local Government Affairs At MTN Nigeria
MTN Nigeria is seeking to employ suitable and qualified applicants to fill the position of Manager, States and Local Government Affairs .
The Position is based in Nigeria.
Job Type: Permanent
- To relate with and manage Government and other stakeholders at the State and Local Government levels, including the State Houses of Assembly, all State and Local Government Agencies and parastatals, to ensure that the activities of the company to a large extent is continuous and is not impeded by government red tapism, regulations and policies that are inimical to MTN’s operational interest.
- Research and identify new ways to generate revenue, as well as cost saving opportunities arising from competitive or regulatory developments.
- Identify all proposed Policies claims , and other issues of the State & Local Governments across the country that are likely to impact legally, socially, economically on MTN operations and prepare submissions and inputs accordingly
- Monitor application of extant State and Local Government Policies, Laws & By-Laws to MTN operations by the relevant agencies & Authorities
- Coordinate and advise on MTN’s CSR initiatives at the State & Local Government level together with other relevant internal stakeholder Groups/Divisions
- Coordinate the regulatory activities of all MTN’s regional government relations and community liaison personnel
- Identify policy issues that impact MTN and create a strategy to maintain and/or improve potential outcomes.
- Influence the telecommunications sector competitive policies to attain a level playing field as well as monitor compliance with extant laws at the state and local government level.
- Regularly engage with stakeholders to analyze the impact of current and future legislative and regulatory issues/trends
- Create and manage a Relationship data base on MTN’s regional operations
- Monitor key legislative opportunities and risks for the company and alert internal stakeholders about them while identifying possible solutions to potential challenges
- Represent MTN at trade association, government, coalition and other industry stakeholder meetings
- Engage directly with state and local government groups to strengthen MTN’s relationships with key decision makers
- Undertake general & periodic audit of events and developments in the various segments of Government at the State & Local Council levels across Nigeria that impact on MTN operations
- Build awareness among internal stakeholders of key state policy decisions affecting the telecommunications industry in the present and in the future
- Cross functional interface with other units especially the Legislative Affairs Unit, to improve the legislative environment and to help enhance MTN’s reputation in state capitals
- Negotiate with various communities, resolve local community issues and differences and ensure harmonious relations exist.
- Support management and advice MTN N on site lease and infrastructure sharing relationships, license conditions and compliance with regulations and legislation.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners, especially infrastructure providers.
- Advice stakeholder Groups within the company on compliance with relevant extant State & Local Government Policies & Laws
- Build relationships with state and local government entities and identify risks and key legislative opportunities to drive MTN’s strategy and engagement at the state and local levels.
- Continuously seek self-professional development to sharpen skills and capabilities in a versatile and evolving digital landscape.
- Foster active collaboration and relationships with employees across all levels and divisions in line with MTN’s VB and values.
- Normal MTNN working conditions
- May be required to work extended hours
- Tool of trade vehicle provided
- Occasional travel (mostly local) often at short notice
Requirements, Experience & Training
- Minimum 6 years’ experience which includes:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an area of specialization with experience in supervising/managing others.
- In depth experience and understanding of the Nigerian telecommunications industry and regulatory framework
- Experience in a commercial legal environment, alternatively within a legal & regulatory control body
- Experience within the telecommunication environment is desirable
- Effective stakeholder relationship management experience in a telecoms regulatory environment
- People Management skills.
- Project Management.
- Courses, Seminars, Conferences and workshops in Government Relations and Stakeholder Engagement
- Management Development Program
- Management Development Program
- BA, BSc, BTech, LLB or HND